python GnuCash interface to SQL backend

Sébastien de Menten sdementen at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 15:08:07 EST 2014

On Wednesday, November 12, 2014, John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> wrote:

> > On Nov 11, 2014, at 1:10 PM, Sébastien de Menten <sdementen at gmail.com
> <javascript:;>> wrote:
> >
> > I would be genuinely interested to have more specific documentation on
> the
> > risks of going the SQL way.
>
> There's nothing wrong with reading the database to generate reports. That
> is indeed easier for many people via SQL query than writing custom report
> plugins in Scheme.
>
> It may also be easier to go with the SQL than with the std python binding
for reporting but also to change the GnuCash book.

> The risk of writing to the database outside of GnuCash, whether in SQL or
> XML, is that unless you are very careful and have a deep understanding of
> how GnuCash works that you will irretrievably corrupt your accounting data.
> There is no business logic encoded in the SQL database, so your code must
> replicate the GnuCsah engine code to ensure that all required fields are
> computed and stored correctly. Much of GnuCash is neither straightforward
> nor obvious and some critical data are stored outside of the primary
> tables, usually to preserve backward compatibility with previous versions.
>
> Regards,
> John Ralls

I have mainly used the basic objects from GnuCash required for
basic personal finance (so no invoice, no budget, ...) and did not found
any issues while handling lot of accounts/transactions/splits and stock
prices. I had the impression that GnuCash does indeed calculations when the
book is opened but that it does not save them in the SQL backend. Hence, if
we access the book when it's not opened by GnuCash at the same time, risks
are quite reduced, would this be a "wrong" impression ?

Where could I find detailed documentation on the GnuCash engine (and the
constrains/invariants GnuCash enforces) ? Or would there be some
code/program to check a GnuCash file is "sane/consistent" ?

Regards

Sebastien