design directory, ERM; was: Doxygen - is there a status?

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Thu Sep 4 18:11:59 EDT 2014

On Sep 4, 2014, at 9:04 AM, Frank H. Ellenberger <frank.h.ellenberger at gmail.com> wrote:

> Am 04.09.2014 um 16:26 schrieb John Ralls:
>> Just like Carsten you missed the point that the *design*
>> documentation doesn't and can't live in the code files and isn't part
>> of writing a patch.
>
> Just for completeness:
> There is a bunch of texi files in src/doc/design.
> - But https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/commits/master/src/doc/design
> shows only sparse updates after 2001.
> - And Intro starts with "This whole document is completely outdated.
> Don't read this. All function names and every described structure has
> changed completely. Only read this if you want to know how gnucash
> looked like in 1999. This is completely outdated!"
>
> So, I agree, mediawiki texts are today easier to maintain than texinfo
> files. Perhaps we should replace the content of this directory with a
> file containing pointers to the respective wiki pages.
>
> But we should add somewhere in the doxygen linked readme files
> - A sketch of the modules, their purpose and relations

Better done in the master header file for each module than in separate “read me” files, but the problem is keeping them current.

> - Explanation of namespaces gnc_, qof_, xacc_, …

Better idea: Let’s get rid of all of the extra namespaces and have just one.

> BTW:
> Am 03.09.2014 um 10:57 schrieb Carsten Rinke:
>> BTW: I took a look at the Wiki C API page. There is also good stuff
>> in it. Note that the link to the entity relationship diagram returns
>> 404 and offers me a log in. Is that correct?
> John, didn't you update the ERM some time ago? But later it became
> inaccessible.

Yeah, I’d put it in the downloads section on Github. They dumped that service last spring and the diagram went away. I need to learn how to put images directly in the wiki.

Regards,
John Ralls