Design Docu - Archtitecture

Christian Stimming christian at cstimming.de
Sat Sep 27 17:15:52 EDT 2014

Hi Carsten,

thanks  a lot for going those next steps towars some architecture
documentation that is really worth its name. By now I've also found enough
motivation to start to add my own edits in those texts. I've just modified
your text from the original texi documents and added a bunch of statements to
describe the deviation of the current source code status in comparison with
the original (lofty) goals.

In fact the original text is only in parts helpful anymore. The original text
stated "the engine" is some single instance that does the coordination between
the model and the view. Unfortunately there is no single instance that does
this described coordination, and it is also not called "the engine". What do
we do with this section in the text...?

There is some coordination between the model and the view through the
qof_event framework, in particular any create/update/delete event of Account
or Transaction. There is also some coordination between the model and the view
through the g_signal's that are sent between various g_object's involved, but
I don't know any details here. Clearly both are useful concepts, but
conceptually those are "just" part of the "Controller" concept, not of some
extra instance that might be called "Engine" or whatever.

The name "the engine" in current gnucash IMHO just refers to the content of
the src/engine directory. This in turn IMHO contains a bunch of different
things, such as the majority of the major data structures (but clearly not all
- src/libqof contains the rest) and some guile - C wrapper issues, and some
whatnot thingies. Maybe the description of the gnucash architecture should
rather start with those different modules? I don't know, too.

Regards,

Christian