Build failure with dbi enabled

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Fri Apr 24 10:31:02 EDT 2015

> On Apr 24, 2015, at 6:36 AM, Geert Janssens <geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be> wrote:
>
> I upgraded to Fedora 21 a couple of days ago and today I reran a gnucash build for the first
> time since that upgrade.
>
> As the upgrade changes lots of libraries I decided to start clean. That is, remove build directory
> and start with a call to autogen.sh.
>
> The call to autogen.sh triggers the same subdir-objects warnings Alex already reported earlier.
> I'm conveniently ignoring them for now. The related bug will apparently be fixed in automake
> 1.16 (not yet in Fedora 21).
>
> However when I ran configure (from a clean build directory), it exited with this error:
> checking for dbi/dbi.h... yes
> /kobaltnet/janssege/Development/EclipseGnuCash/GnuCash-git/configure: line 22003:
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH: command not found
> /kobaltnet/janssege/Development/EclipseGnuCash/GnuCash-git/configure: line 22004:
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH: command not found
> configure: Search Path
> checking Looking for at least one supported DBD module... configure: error:
> Unable to find any of the supported dbd modules
> (libdbdsqlite3, libdbdmysql, or libdbdpgsql) needed to actually use the SQL backend.
>
> I fixed this by changing
> AC_MSG_NOTICE([Search Path $(LD_LIBRARY_PATH)])
> AC_MSG_NOTICE([Search Path $LD_LIBRARY_PATH])
> in configure.ac
>
> I'm surprised this wasn't detected before. Is this new behavior of the automake tools ?
>

> The next configure run exited again due to no DBD modules being found even though the
> "LD_LIBRARY_PATH: command not found" errors were now gone:
> checking for dbi/dbi.h... yes
> configure: Search Path :/usr/lib64/dbd
> checking Looking for at least one supported DBD module... configure: error:
> Unable to find any of the supported dbd modules
> (libdbdsqlite3, libdbdmysql, or libdbdpgsql) needed to actually use the SQL backend.
>
> Looking at config.log it seems to me the LD_LIBRARY_PATH should be exported before running
> the dbi driver tests. On my system, I can make configure work by applying the attached patch.
>
> Before committing it however, I'd like some feedback on how it behaves on OS X. John, can you
> look at this patch ?

Geert,

The patch should be harmless. I think it odd that only that one environment variable needs to be exported and to have its brackets removed.

I wonder, though, if this is really due to a change in autotools. Are you able to compare a configure made with F20 to the one made with F21?

Regards,
John Ralls