Rounding in the price db.

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Wed Aug 19 10:56:56 EDT 2015

> On Aug 19, 2015, at 1:44 PM, David Carlson <david.carlson.417 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I have been watching this thread and am glad that this discussion is happening.
>
> The price db  is also used in the reconciliation dialog when reconciling an account with subaccounts. The reconciliation dialog appears to use the most recent value, where I  would expect it to use nearest in time to the reconciliation date.
>
> Would there any value to keeping one price from each source as opposed to only one value?  Also, is it possible to have securities valued in more than one currency?

Ooh, I’ll have to look into that. It doesn’t seem to me to be a good way to handle reconciliation. In fact I’m inclined to disable including subaccounts if the currencies don’t match. Can you articulate a use case where reconciling a parent account with multiple-currency children makes sense?

The current code doesn’t use the source info for anything other than displaying to the user, so there’s no present use to retaining prices with different sources. That doesn’t mean there would never be, but it would complicate the code quite a bit so the use case would have to be pretty compelling.

Yes, there’s support for security prices in multiple currencies. I think using that facility is likely to produce interesting results. Consider a company that trades on both the Shanghai and New York stock exchanges in RMB and USD respectively. There are a variety of reasons why one might expect the price on the two exchanges to be rather loosely coupled: Arbitrage difficulty, the current negative sentiment on Chinese exchanges and the resulting government controls, the desire of wealthy Chinese to expatriate their wealth, etc.

Regards,
John Ralls