Rounding in the price db.

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Wed Aug 19 17:54:06 EDT 2015

> On Aug 19, 2015, at 7:17 PM, David Carlson <david.carlson.417 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> In the past I have been reconciling stocks separately from the containing brokerage account(s), but it gets tedious in a couple of accounts that contain several different securities.  It seems logical to me to only need to reconcile a brokerage statement once instead of several times each month.  I think a lot of individuals have one or more brokerage or retirement accounts containing listed stocks and/or mutual funds.  I am sure that it would not be trivial to implement a single reconcile for a brokerage account, but it still should be fairly straightforward.  I would consider this to be common enough to consider implementation.
>
> While you correctly note that values will never be universally consistent, I think that any one brokerage statement should be consistent within itself, and that it is very likely to match whatever Yahoo or Google quotes in the local currency at the end of the month, if that is the date of the statement.
>
> I do not have mixed currencies in one brokerage account, and while I have seen a few emails from users that do mix currencies in their daily lives, I think that is not very common.  I could be wrong.  GnuCash does not work well for day traders, for example, and it does not have to work well for every other uncommon scenario.

Your request to be able to reconcile a brokerage statement in one go is reasonable, but has nothing to do with stock prices whether from previous transactions or Finance::Quote. You don’t reconcile a stock account on its monetary value, you reconcile it on the number of shares.

So in order to implement your request there would have to be a different reconcile window with a separate list-view pair and set of balances for each subaccount with unreconciled transactions in it, and the “Finish” button wouldn’t light up until all of them were properly reconciled. The Reconcile Info dialog would similarly need to collect a statement balance for each subaccount. ISTM that would get a bit unwieldy if you trade a lot of stocks or have a lot of reinvested dividends each month, but I suppose that’s also true of reconciling each stock account separately. Regardless, it’s immaterial to the price db.

Regards,
John Ralls