Documentation Regarding GnuCash Import Features

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Thu Aug 27 06:30:52 EDT 2015

On Wednesday 26 August 2015 19:59:59 David T. wrote:
> John,
>
> I am moving this thread to Devel, since it has moved beyond typical
> user threads.
>
> Further digging in the Help Manual shows section "3.3. Import QIF
> Files," which explains that particular import process, but no other.
> I suspect the interest in putting this information here has to do
> with the fact that many newcomers to GnuCash will be importing their
> data from Quicken. However, I think it a little oddly placed and
> sadly alone (not to mention hard to find).
>
> Additional scanning in the Help Manual (I almost never use it, alas!)
> turns up "Chapter 6. Common Transaction Operations," under which a
> section on importing might be placed.
>
> As an aside, I will note that this chapter and Chapter 4 of the
> Tutorial include largely similar content, and I wonder which document
> would be the better repository for this information. Ultimately, I
> believe that one of these chapters should be merged into the other,
> and all reference elsewhere should go to the one spot.
>
> If a section on importing should be added to the Help Manual, I would
> propose putting it in chapter 6, moving 3.3 into it (with appropriate
> updates), and inserting a general note in 3.3 that discusses
> importing in general, and refers readers to the appropriate section
> in chapter 6.
>
> If instead, it should go into the Tutorial, I imagine it would go in
> either as a new section in Chapter 4, or as a separate chapter
> immediately after this chapter.
>
> Cheers,
> David

Hi David,

I'll first start on the subject of Help vs Tutorial&Concepts guide. This
is what I use as guide to choose a document to add some content to:

* The manual ("Help") focuses on what does each aspect of GnuCash do. If
I click on this button what happens, what's this menu item for ? Things
like that. Technically this is also the document that is referred to
when you click the various context help buttons in GnuCash.

* The tutorial and concepts guide on the other hand is focused on how to
reach some goal. How to track bank statements, how to track stock
investments ? These topics usually mean combining several aspects of
gnucash.

I'm aware these guidelines are vague and can even have overlap.
Additionally the Tutorial guide starts with very basic topics so users
can learn most aspects almost from scratch. Some of the basic topics
have a lot of overlap with "what does this or that button do" from the
manual.

I think *every* feature of gnucash should ideally be documented in the
help manual. However it only needs be done in a very concise style, just
enough to explain the use of that particular feature. The guide should
be more geared towards getting started with certain tasks. It may or may
not cover all features of gnucash. I see it rather task oriented than
feature oriented.

I'd love to hear what others use as guide to decide what should go
where. Ideally less vague :)

As to the other items in your mail: yes the mention of QIF early in the
help guide is unfortunate and should be moved to a independent chapter
on importing.

To keep the job reasonable I'd agree with John to add it in the Help
manual in this case (considering it's first and foremost explain the
knobs and buttons of the various import features).

Thanks for spending your time on the documentation. It really needs some
love.

Geert