Documentation Regarding GnuCash Import Features

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Fri Aug 28 05:06:14 EDT 2015

On Friday 28 August 2015 09:54:12 John Ralls wrote:
> > On Aug 28, 2015, at 9:03 AM, Geert Janssens
> > <geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be> wrote:
> >
> > That's interesting: your focus appears to be on the "Concepts"
> > aspect of "Tutorial and Concepts Guide". My focus was rather on
> > "Tutorial". I guess the name itself is already ambiguous.>
> > > There’s no chapter on Reports
> >
> > You're right there is no separate chapter on reports, but reports
> > are touched regardless as part of several tutorials. For example
> > 4.7.5 talks about the cash flow and transaction report. 5.5.5
> > covers reports relevant to checkbook management, 6.5.8 is about
> > credit cards, and so on.
> >
> > That's what I meant with each tutorial brings together many features
> > of gnucash, instead of explaining each in isolation.
> Fair enough. Let’s turn the T&CG into the GnuCash Manual, with three
> sections: Concepts, Task-oriented tutorials, and Feature descriptions
> (not necessarily in that order).

Yes, that's looks good.

<snip>

> > I have no idea how frequently the help buttons would be used. I do
> > remember seeing bug reports in the past because some buttons were
> > not working. So at least *some* people look at them.
> So maybe we should focus the help on context-sensitive help and stop
> trying to publish it as a book.

Ok.

> > Having said that, I also think combining the two would have some
> > advantages.
> >
> > Someone would have to do this of course... I fear that a complete
> > overhaul of the documentation would be a huge task. On the other
> > hand no one says it all has to be done in one go.
> Replacing DocBook with Libre/Open Office would both make it easier and
> get more people to help, but I’ve hived that off to a separate
> thread.

Yes, that's the goal.

> It occurs to me that we might need to keep DocBook for
> context-sensitive help in Linux. Do we?

It's true that is what we use currently. However we ship an embedded webbrowser so we
could just as well ship the documentation in html format instead. I expect we'll need to post-
process the autogenerated html from libreoffice a bit to simplify navigation (make sure there's
a menu on each page) and tack on a decent css stylesheet, but those are doable.

Geert