Replacing Docbook

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Fri Aug 28 15:53:17 EDT 2015

I suspect another issue with using ODT instead of DocBook is that we'd
have a single file for the whole document, versus a separate file for each
chapter.  This means that multiple people working in different sections
may very easily collide with each other through git, whereas docbook
changes would merge more cleanly.

-derek

On Fri, August 28, 2015 3:38 pm, Geert Janssens wrote:
> On Friday 28 August 2015 15:48:53 Mike Evans wrote:
>> On Fri, 28 Aug 2015 15:15:58 +0100
>> > I just tried docbook2odf with the guide and it does a reasonably
>> > good job.  Some imgaes need resizing and there's a "Generated by
>> > docbooktoodf" side bar on every page.  A little editing though and
>> > it should look OK.
>> >
>> > Using GIT with LibreOffice works quite well after installing some
>> > python utils.
>> >
>> > Mike E
>>
>> Oh, dear.  More scrolling revealed loads of missing images.
>>
>> Mike E
>
> I did the same exercise just now. Note that I used the latest svn revision
> of docbook2odf (r253)
> which is slightly more recent than the ones found on the download page.
>
> The screenshots are all there on my system, although many of them are
> improperly sized.
> That's probably because we have been sloppy at that in our docbook version
> as well and just
> relied on the images being viewed at 100% size. That's probably not ok in
> odt which is geared
> towards printing.
>
> During the conversion there was an error for 4 pnm image files not being
> found. I suspect
> these are the images used to highlight warnings and tips and such. I
> didn't see those in the odt
> file.
>
> The image we had in multiple resolutions (the accounting equation) is
> added 3 times, probably
> because we had specified it 3 times in our source.
>
> The table of contents is missing as is the list of figures and tables.
>
> It's getting worse: all cross-references are gone.
>
> And worse: I did one single edit - remove the vertical docbook2odf banner.
> I did so by removing
> the page header in the page settings.
> This resulted in a git diff of a whopping +1351/-1368 line changes. Most
> of the changes are
> arbitrary like styles changing names, changing regional settings, adding
> soft-page-breaks,...
>
> Of course this can all be easily committed into git. However it will be
> rather difficult to follow
> changes made if the patches are so full of gratuitous changes.
>
> If we can't get libreoffice to make less noisy diffs, it's very unlikely
> it will be in improvement
> over the current situation.
>
> Regards,
>
> Geert

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745