automake warnings

Alex Aycinena alex.aycinena at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 17:21:00 EST 2015

When I run './autogen.sh' on my Fedora 21 machine, I get the following:

Makefile.am:10: warning: source file 'util/guile.c' is in a subdirectory,
Makefile.am:10: but option 'subdir-objects' is disabled
automake: warning: possible forward-incompatibility.
automake: At least a source file is in a subdirectory, but the
'subdir-objects'
automake: automake option hasn't been enabled.  For now, the corresponding
output
automake: object file(s) will be placed in the top-level directory.
However,
automake: this behaviour will change in future Automake versions: they will
automake: unconditionally cause object files to be placed in the same
subdirectory
automake: of the corresponding sources.
automake: You are advised to start using 'subdir-objects' option throughout
your
automake: project, to avoid future incompatibilities.

followed by many messages like the following:

src/app-utils/Makefile.am:40: warning: source file
'calculation/expression_parser.c' is in a subdirectory,
src/app-utils/Makefile.am:40: but option 'subdir-objects' is disabled

This is between the lines:

Running automake --add-missing --gnu --warnings=no-portability  ...

and

Running autoconf ...

configure, make and make install all seem to work fine.On my Fedora 20
machine I don't see these warnings.

I don't know if this is because of something different in my environment
between the two or because of the versions of the tools in the two machines.

Can someone give me feedback? I believe, Greet, you use Fedora also. Do you
see this as well?

Thanks,

Alex