Fun with Git

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 7 18:41:23 EST 2015

OK, so, I am now duly anointed with Just Enough Knowledge in the GnuCash documentation procedures to be dangerous. Woe is unto the Devel mailing list, as I have run into a couple of Problems.

Simply put, I have edited a number of sections in the Guide in response to a number of bugs. I turned in a patch for one of those bugs (634181), but I have other changes that I would like to send in. The patches affect ch_oview.xml and ch_basics.xml. Following the commands in the wiki (git commit -a) suggested that I was going to get a patch with all the changes to both files, but I just wanted one file at a time. I tried “git commit ch_oview.xml”, which seemed to set me up to create the one file patch, but when I issue the next command prescribed in the wiki (“git pull —rebase”), I get the following:

dht-retina:C david$ git pull --rebase
Cannot pull with rebase: You have unstaged changes.
Please commit or stash them.

I do not know how to proceed from this.

TIA,
David