Fun with Git

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Wed Feb 11 19:58:59 EST 2015

> On Feb 11, 2015, at 11:17 AM, David T. <sunfish62 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> Well, ha ha, the joke’s on me, as the second patch I submitted wouldn’t go through, because I have intervening crapola on my end. (Geert put it differently in the bug).
>
> For me, the easiest way to back out is to start over, so I have copied the three files I messed with to a different location and nuked my local copy (including the .git folder in that location).
>
> I have created my own (currently hidden) account on github.com, and have forked gnucash-docs. At least I think I did.
>
> As I understand it, I should create a clone on my computer of some gnucash-docs repository (my github fork, or the main gnucash-docs repository? inquiring minds wish to know!). Then I should create many branches (I imagine one per chapter I am editing).
>
> Assuming that I get that far (and that it’s the road I’m supposed to go down), I will see how much more trouble I can get into then. Assuming that I am starting over, John, can I use atlassian to carry out the steps you outlined here?
>
> David
>
> P.S. I will admit to feeling quite gitty right now.

David,

Yes, you can use SourceTree to do all of that.

At this point I'd suggest cloning your fork and adding the "official" repo as a second remote named "upstream".

Be sure to create at least one new branch for your patches. That will prevent you from getting ahead of master or maint.
Since I imagine that you want your changes to appear in 2.6.6, you should branch off of maint, since that's what we'll need to merge them into.

Regards,
John Ralls