gtk3 and gnucash

Sriram Ramkrishna sri at ramkrishna.me
Thu Feb 19 00:11:09 EST 2015

On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 5:59 PM, John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> wrote:

>> On Feb 18, 2015, at 10:26 AM, Sriram Ramkrishna <sri at ramkrishna.me> wrote:
>>
>> I was doing some searching around and I spotted this thread:
>>
>> http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/Future-programming-language-td4668935.html
>>
>> I was wondering if you were aware of the recent win32 improvements
>> that have been made in win32 space?  Paolo and others have done a lot
>> of work in this space.
>>
>> We would of course love to see a gtk3 port of GNUCash which the GNOME
>> Foundation uses to manage its finances as I'm sure a lot of other
>> software projects who manage money do as well.
>
> That's very unlikely any time soon. GnuCash is a bit of a mess, with really bad MVC separation and some poor implementation decisions in the core that contains the business logic. All of that needs to be cleaned up before we can safely migrate to Gtk3.

 OK, thanks for the update!

> As for win32 improvements, no, I haven't seen anything to support that there are any. The latest binaries on www.gtk.org are 3.6, which Tarnyko did 2 years ago. There aren't any gtk3 binaries at all on master.gnome.org, only gtk2 ones from 4 years ago. I see a whopping 8 commits this year in gdk/win32.

We are working on doing some improvements.  You can read
Matthias'sblog on the new theme which has support for win32

http://blogs.gnome.org/mclasen/2014/06/13/a-new-default-theme-for-gtk/

is one of many.  So some focus on GTK+ and other platforms.  I
understand that you've worked on an OSX version at some point?

> BTW, after the email exchange that you cited Robert did continue on the GtkTreeView implementation of the register, but he wasn't able to make it stable and gave up. We're still stuck with the 12-year-old implementation based on libgnomecanvas. I'm pretty sure that could be updated to draw directly on a cairo context once someone motivates himself to do it, but there's so much other work that no one has yet taken it on... not that that would move us any closer to Gtk3.

OK, that's unfortunate..

> Please in future address correspondence about GnuCash development to our developer's mailing list rather than to an individual developer.

Will do.  I'll also invite developers to come to GUADEC, as that is
going to be the best place to create relationships and air out some of
the issues.

Thanks for your response, they were helpful.

Kind regards,
Sri Ramkrishna
Director, GNOME Foundation / Engagement Team