I want to learn how to customize reports

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Thu Feb 19 08:03:51 EST 2015

On Thursday 19 February 2015 16:23:14 Dmitry Pavlov wrote:
> GnuCash uses guile as a scheme impl.

Indeed, gnucash uses guile. So you probably want to work with that because each
implementation speaks a different dialect.

The downside is that guile is not a windows native package. So when you install gnucash it
works well from within gnucash, but it's less obvious how to use it independently of gnucash.

Here is one way you could do it:

- Open a command prompt (cmd.exe)
- Type
SET GUILE_LOAD_PATH=%ProgramFiles%\gnucash\share\guile\1.8
%ProgramFiles%\gnucash\bin\guile.exe

The first command makes sure guile finds all of its modules, the second will start an interactive
guile session.

> I think you should better try to install cygwin and then install guile
> for it, using it's package management feature.

Be careful with installing gnucash and cygwin under the same user account. From past reports
it looks like this is a recipe for crashes in gnucash.

If you want to go the cygwin route, please install it under a separate user account on your pc,
and make sure it doesn't install for all users.

> As an alternative you can run Ubuntu in virtual maching (virtual box
> for example)

That would also be an option.

Good luck,

Geert