New user feedback

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sun Feb 22 18:48:55 EST 2015

> On Feb 22, 2015, at 3:37 PM, Paul <p.matthews at inbox.com> wrote:
>
> Hello all
>
> I admire what you are trying to do and wish to support you with some feedback.
>
> My usecase: "We want to see whats happening to our money."
>
> I downloaded and installed gnucash a couple of days ago because the need arose to manage our accounts. After connecting to online banking services and downloading all our transactions I got everything working perfectly. AWESOME!!  Problem solved I thought as I proceeded to the reporting to pull out some data for my partner...
>
> What a disappointment. The stock reports are imo ugly and inadequate for our use case. We are interested in cash flow and the editing options for this report are minimal. Very minimal.
>
> Being a qualified programmer I investigated the options for customising our reports somehow. I quickly found the answer to all of my reporting woes. I have to learn not one, but two obscure programming langages, namely guile/eguile and scheme.
>
> In conclusion: I can't be bothered. I will have a look for something else that can output beautiful, professional and, if necessary, customizable reports.
>
> I will report back with my findings if you like.

Actually, Guile and Scheme are the same language.
You might consider the SQL backend; one variant, SQLite3 requires no server. Using that instead of the default XML backend will allow you to query the database with standard SQL tools and use a SQL-based report writer to generate prettier reports.

Regards,
John Ralls