New user feedback

Paul p.matthews at inbox.com
Mon Feb 23 12:17:26 EST 2015

Thanks for all your help

I got the odbc drivers working and loaded up the sqlite3 db in
libreoffice base. All very interesting stuff. But the option for
grouping is greyed out. I assume this is likely because the db lacks
integrity contraints (foreign keys).

If the db is lacking integrity there seems little point in searching 3rd
party tools to read it. Who would produce a tool to read incomplete
datastructures?

Maybe I'll take a look at scheme when I get the time.

Keep up the good work guys. Thankyou.

On 23/02/15 16:37, John Ralls wrote:

>> On Feb 22, 2015, at 10:57 PM, Paul <p.matthews at inbox.com> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for the idea John.
>>
>> I had look around for an sqlite tool for analysing the database.
>>
>> Theres a nice little sqlite reader/editor called sqliteman. However, when i try to open the gnucash database it responds with:
>>
>> Unable to open or create file accounts.gnucash. It is probably not a database
>>
>> I also found a free reporting tool for sql called openRPT but this requires an interface to sqlite as its designed for "proper" databases. The only interface i found is qsqlite which the developer has declared obsolete and it needs sqlite 2.8. Clearly not a good path to go down.
>>
>> Does anyone know of any tools (for linux) that will empower me to view and/or create reports from the database?
>

> Did you by any chance skip the part about saving your file with the SQL backend? File>Save As... then select SQLite3 from the listbox at the top of the dialog. You may have to install the SQLite3 dbi module with your package manager first.
>
> If you did do that, make sure that
>    file accounts.gnucash
> tells you that it's a sqlite3 database. If it doesn't then you're chasing the wrong file.
>
> SQLite3 provides a command-line query tool, sqlite3, but it won't generate pretty reports. If there aren't any report writers that you like that can read SQLite3 dbs directly, perhaps you can find one that uses ODBC. There's an ODBC driver for SQLite3 at http://www.ch-werner.de/sqliteodbc/.
>
> Regards,
> John Ralls

Can't remember your password? Do you need a strong and secure password?
Use Password manager! It stores your passwords & protects your account.
Check it out at http://mysecurelogon.com/password-manager