Information about languages in GNUCash

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Tue Mar 3 15:24:21 EST 2015

[ I'm moving this topic to gnucash-devel, because it's getting rather technical... ]

On Monday 02 March 2015 12:48:32 chandrakant dhutadmal wrote:
> Hi.
> Thanks for the information, but i have some confusion in reading the
> contents of the webpage. I am unable to understand which languages
> have been committed and need no further work in terms of
> translations.
Unfortunately that information is not readily available on the website. You will have to take
some manual steps to get that.

> For example, even though "gu.po" ( For Gujarati
> language) is available in the list, remark says - Fix some warnings
> found with msgfmt -c in the po files.

This "remark" is the comment that was added to the most recent commit for the gu.po file. It's
not a message to indicate what still *has to be* done, it explains the last thing that *was* done.
So for gu.po, that last change fixed some warnings, which is good.

> So from this entry i am unable
> to understand whether Gujarati language is made available in GNUCash.
The files as listed under https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/tree/2.6.5a/po
have been made available in GnuCash. These files were in release 2.6.5, the most recent stable
release.

You can click on each file to see its contents if you like. Unfortunately that doesn't show their
completeness in terms of translation.

> If there is some work that needs to be done, who will help in
> understanding the issue?

As said you will need to take manual steps to extract this information from the gnucash sources.
It is not readily available online.

You can use the linux command 'msgfmt --statistics' for this purpose. And you can also use
'msgfmt -c' to check the file for errors.

This does require some linux knowledge and the gnucash sources already downloaded and
extracted on your linux system.

For example:
msgfmt --statistics gu.po
on my system will result in:
4084 translated messages, 15 untranslated messages.

Any po file editor should be able to tell you the same information. Please refer to our Translation
wiki [1] page for more details.

For your convenience, I'll list the current translation status of all languages below. In the future
you will have to find a way to get to it yourself.

ar.po: 2031 translated messages, 4 fuzzy translations, 2556 untranslated messages.
as.po: 4635 translated messages.
bg.po: 3883 translated messages, 441 fuzzy translations, 245 untranslated messages.
brx.po: 4635 translated messages.
ca.po: 4573 translated messages, 48 fuzzy translations, 7 untranslated messages.
cs.po: 2580 translated messages, 1343 fuzzy translations, 705 untranslated messages.
da.po: 3281 translated messages, 711 fuzzy translations, 636 untranslated messages.
de.po: 4354 translated messages, 205 fuzzy translations, 62 untranslated messages.
doi.po: 4098 translated messages.
el.po: 3116 translated messages, 720 fuzzy translations, 733 untranslated messages.
en_GB.po: 2883 translated messages, 905 fuzzy translations, 804 untranslated messages.
es_NI.po: 798 translated messages, 2378 fuzzy translations, 1393 untranslated messages.
es.po: 3599 translated messages, 957 fuzzy translations, 72 untranslated messages.
eu.po: 1514 translated messages, 2079 fuzzy translations, 1035 untranslated messages.
fa.po: 1612 translated messages, 429 fuzzy translations, 2587 untranslated messages.
fi.po: 545 translated messages, 334 fuzzy translations, 3690 untranslated messages.
fr.po: 4062 translated messages, 384 fuzzy translations, 146 untranslated messages.
gu.po: 4084 translated messages, 15 untranslated messages.
he.po: 1063 translated messages, 607 fuzzy translations, 2899 untranslated messages.
hi.po: 4635 translated messages.
hu.po: 3594 translated messages, 414 fuzzy translations, 561 untranslated messages.
it.po: 4482 translated messages, 95 fuzzy translations, 43 untranslated messages.
ja.po: 3109 translated messages, 960 fuzzy translations, 559 untranslated messages.
kn.po: 4635 translated messages.
kok at latin.po: 4635 translated messages.
kok.po: 4635 translated messages.
ko.po: 2704 translated messages, 880 fuzzy translations, 985 untranslated messages.
ks.po: 4635 translated messages.
lt.po: 4346 translated messages, 69 fuzzy translations, 177 untranslated messages.
lv.po: 4669 translated messages.
mr.po: 4635 translated messages.
nb.po: 2985 translated messages, 1072 fuzzy translations, 512 untranslated messages.
ne.po: 2985 translated messages, 1073 fuzzy translations, 511 untranslated messages.
nl.po: 4099 translated messages, 395 fuzzy translations, 134 untranslated messages.
pl.po: 3688 translated messages, 565 fuzzy translations, 316 untranslated messages.
pt_BR.po: 4559 translated messages, 10 fuzzy translations.
pt.po: 1149 translated messages, 2339 fuzzy translations, 1140 untranslated messages.
ro.po: 3175 translated messages, 915 fuzzy translations, 479 untranslated messages.
ru.po: 4470 translated messages, 35 fuzzy translations, 122 untranslated messages.
rw.po: 186 translated messages, 2565 fuzzy translations, 1818 untranslated messages.
sk.po: 2682 translated messages, 1101 fuzzy translations, 845 untranslated messages.
sv.po: 2989 translated messages, 65 fuzzy translations, 1574 untranslated messages.
ta.po: 4635 translated messages.
te.po: 4635 translated messages.
tr.po: 1703 translated messages, 1183 fuzzy translations, 1683 untranslated messages.
uk.po: 2874 translated messages, 1077 fuzzy translations, 677 untranslated messages.
ur.po: 4635 translated messages.
vi.po: 3175 translated messages, 916 fuzzy translations, 478 untranslated messages.
zh_CN.po: 3154 translated messages, 1091 fuzzy translations, 383 untranslated messages.
zh_TW.po: 3124 translated messages, 667 fuzzy translations, 778 untranslated messages.

Lastly, below are warnings and errors issued by msgfmt -c. If some of these are caused by
languages you maintain, please try to fix them:

brx.po:26200: 'msgstr' is not a valid C format string, unlike 'msgid'. Reason: The character that
terminates the directive number 1 is not a valid conversion specifier.
msgfmt: found 1 fatal error
kok.po:26045: 'msgstr' is not a valid C format string, unlike 'msgid'. Reason: The character that
terminates the directive number 1 is not a valid conversion specifier.
msgfmt: found 1 fatal error
ks.po:26224: 'msgstr' is not a valid C format string, unlike 'msgid'. Reason: The character that
terminates the directive number 1 is not a valid conversion specifier.
msgfmt: found 1 fatal error
mr.po:26714: 'msgstr' is not a valid C format string, unlike 'msgid'. Reason: The character that
terminates the directive number 1 is not a valid conversion specifier.
msgfmt: found 1 fatal error
ta.po:26932: 'msgstr' is not a valid C format string, unlike 'msgid'. Reason: The character that
terminates the directive number 1 is not a valid conversion specifier.
msgfmt: found 1 fatal error
te.po:12659: number of format specifications in 'msgid_plural' and 'msgstr[1]' does not match
te.po:21060: 'msgstr' is not a valid C format string, unlike 'msgid'. Reason: The character that
terminates the directive number 6 is not a valid conversion specifier.
te.po:26517: 'msgstr' is not a valid C format string, unlike 'msgid'. Reason: The character that
terminates the directive number 1 is not a valid conversion specifier.
msgfmt: found 3 fatal errors
ur.po:12773: format specifications in 'msgid' and 'msgstr' for argument 1 are not the same
ur.po:27301: 'msgstr' is not a valid C format string, unlike 'msgid'. Reason: The character that
terminates the directive number 1 is not a valid conversion specifier.
msgfmt: found 2 fatal errors

Good luck!

Geert