Guile path for scm files

David Christopher chrstdvd at gmail.com
Sat Mar 14 15:46:23 EDT 2015

I have edited my .profile file by adding this line to the very end.

PATH="$PATH:$HOME/Documents"

Now with that in there I can in terminal type "echo $PATH and get this
return:

david at david-Aspire-XC-605G ~ $ echo $PATH
/home/david/Documents:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/games:/home/david/Documents

Supposedly when I chmod to make the hello.scm practice file executable and
run from the terminal command line I should see the Hello World.  As
opposed to on the command line typing "guile hello.world".

When I type hello.scm in terminal command line, I get the following error.

david at david-Aspire-XC-605G ~ $ hello.scm
;;; Stat of /home/david/?s failed:
;;; ERROR: In procedure stat: No such file or directory:
"/home/david/\u2013s"
Backtrace:
In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
 157: 8 [catch #t #<catch-closure 1f48400> ...]
In unknown file:
   ?: 7 [apply-smob/1 #<catch-closure 1f48400>]
In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
  63: 6 [call-with-prompt prompt0 ...]
In ice-9/eval.scm:
 432: 5 [eval # #]
In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
2320: 4 [save-module-excursion #<procedure 1f7ad00 at
ice-9/boot-9.scm:3961:3 ()>]
3968: 3 [#<procedure 1f7ad00 at ice-9/boot-9.scm:3961:3 ()>]
1645: 2 [%start-stack load-stack ...]
1650: 1 [#<procedure 1f780f0 ()>]
In unknown file:
   ?: 0 [primitive-load "/home/david/\u2013s"]

ERROR: In procedure primitive-load:
ERROR: In procedure open-file: No such file or directory:
"/home/david/\u2013s"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now without that line in .profile, I get "file not found"

A friend told me I get te \u0213s from having a bad character in the
.profile file in that added line.  Well, I have typed it in by hand several
times, copied an untouched .profile from my back up into the thing and
still get the error.  Also tried creating the .bashrc and the
.pamenvironment file and I get the same error with those two files.

Anyone know why I get this "No such file or directory: "/home/david/\u2013s"
"  ??
 It should say "/home/david/Documents"

I studied the Guile Reference Manual about %load and setting environmental
variables.

In guile "load" does not look in the path, it seems to only look in current
directory for the file to load.  I did copy and paste the hello.scm in the
2.0 directory where the Manual says scm files should be.  Then I entered
(load-from-path "hello.scm") and that works fine.

Thanks for any help and especially looking a a newbee proplem.