Version Numbering

Christian Stimming christian at cstimming.de
Sun Mar 22 17:41:44 EDT 2015

Dear Chris,

thanks for bringing up this question. In fact there are different views on
this topic around. I consider the version number as part of our marketing
communication to potential users. As such, the first-most number of our
software should represent something that is meaningful to the users. And it
should change as soon as something major that is meaningful to the users is
changed.

I've simply seen enough users who can't tell whether there is a version 2.2 or
2.4 or 22 or 24 or whatever of gnucash on their computer. They could for sure
tell whether they have version 2-something or 3-something. But the next number
is just magnitudes less important. Hence, we should use the important part of
the version number as our product marketing in a useful way.

Because of this, I am against the idea that we have to stick to the first
number "2" unless we have a major architectural change or some other whatever
major technological yadda yadda change inside gnucash. Instead, from my point
of view we should consider incrementing our first version number from 2 to 3
at some not-too-distant point in the future, as soon as this number change
would represent something useful for the user. For example, a gnucash version
that is multi-user-enabled would be enough of a reason to call that "version
3.something". Note that I don't care at all which technology was used to
achieve this feature.

Thing is, we can expect all users to tell whether their gnucash version number
starts with 2 or 3. But the number after that is already something that can be
remembered by only a minority of the users. Why should we easily let go of the
powerful communication tool to tell whether someone has a newer or older
version of the software? Instead, IMHO we should keep in mind to switch to
version 3.x within the next 1-3 years, as soon as we have enough user-visible
to justify this change.

Regards,

Christian