advice for multi-currency QIF?

John Valente johnv02139 at yahoo.com
Sat May 2 13:51:52 EDT 2015

Hi,
I am just starting out with GnuCash.  I want to import data I have stored in a commercial program, which includes accounts using different currencies.  I exported my data as QIF, and when I used the GnuCash importer, it made me select a currency, and noted that multiple currencies were not supported during QIF import.
I went ahead with the import, in USD, since my alternate-currency accounts are pretty minimal.  I figured, at that point, GnuCash just didn't have much support for multiple currencies, and I'd just try to straighten things out by hand after the import finished.
I then started looking a little more closely at the documentation, including page 1 of the guide:
Free Accounting Software | GnuCash

|   |
| Free Accounting Software | GnuCashA personal and small-business financial-accounting software, licensed under GNU/GPL and available for Linux, Windows, Mac OS X, BSD, and Solaris. |
|  |
| View on www.gnucash.org | Preview by Yahoo |
|  |
|   |

I do notice that "global currencies" is mentioned prominently in the first sentence, and quite prominently in the illustration.  So, my initial suspicion that GnuCash was basically a single-currency program was off the mark.
So I guess the problem is limited to QIF import?  Is there any recommended strategy for importing data that is in different currencies?
I am a software engineer, and I would be interested in attempting to add multi-currency support to the importer, particularly if someone on this list can give me any pointers.
Thanks,John