GnuCash Android v1.6.0 pre-beta

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Mon May 4 08:02:54 EDT 2015

On 5/3/2015 9:57 PM, Dave H wrote:
> Sorry, I should have mentioned that the files I'm using (my normal GnuCash
> compressed xml files) import into version 1.5.5 fine with one little quirk
> - the Scheduled Transactions never show up - when I go to Scheduled
> Transactions all I see is the message "No recurring transactions to
> display."  This could be because there are none immediately due as I always
> have them set to be created 60 days in advance to give me an idea of my
> cash flow for the next couple of months ?
>
> Cheers Dave H...
>
> On 4 May 2015 at 12:29, Dave H <hellvee at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Ngewi,
>>
>> I'm having issues with both the beta versions of the app you've sent
>> lately. On my Galaxy Note 3 running Android 4.4.2 I get a white screen with
>> the Gnucash-beta Header for a few seconds and then a black screen without
>> the header and then the message "Unfortunately Gnucash beta has
>> stopped.....". On my Galaxy Tab 10.1 running Android 4.4.2 it starts
>> opening my normal Gnucash file and then displays "An error occurred while
>> importing the GnuCash accounts Error parsing template credit split amount".
>> I've tried deleting all the scheduled transactions but no luck.
>>
>> Cheers Dave H...

Dave H,

Your experience is quite similar to mine described elsewhere in this
thread.  All of my example files have many brokerage accounts with
stocks and mutual funds which did not appear to be displayed correctly,
but maybe that part of the program is not complete yet.  I have asked
for a description of what a template looks like so I can excerpt one or
more from my file for perusal.  I remember a few years ago trying to
identify a template but I either got lost in the nesting or I was not
sure which UI(is that the term?)references were germain.

According to Ngewi release 1.5.5 completely ignores scheduled
transactions, which also matches my experience.  Since I anticipate
using the Android version mainly to enter day to day cash and bank
transactions, I think 1.5.5 could work for me if it were easier to
navigate.  I could live without stocks or scheduled transactions in the
Android version.  In fact, I could even live without direct access to
income and expense accounts.

I noticed in release 1.5.5 that the split transaction display was
confusing because the 'goes intos' plus the 'comes out ofs' do not add
up to zero.  they were identical from the perspective of income and
expense accounts, which is fine if shown correctly.  I personally think
that the source register that the split transaction is viewed from
should not matter at all. I wish the regular Gnucash worked that way.  I
do not think that I should be required to open up a security account
register to enter a purchase or sale.

David C