Difficulty building on MacOSX

Mike Alexander mta at umich.edu
Wed May 6 03:32:41 EDT 2015

--On May 5, 2015 at 6:18:09 PM -0700 John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us>
wrote:

> I obviously haven’t encountered that problem, and ISTM our
> environments for this purpose should be pretty much identical, at
> least when you’re using the Xcode compiler. The one possibility
> that comes to mind is optimization: I’m building with -O0 so that I
> can easily use the debugger.

So am I, so that isn't the difference.

> You can cd to src/libqof/qof and make check; you should get the same
> crash on test-gnc-timezone if you have google test or on test-qof if
> you don’t. That will provide a convenient program to run the
> debugger on to see if you can get some more info.
>
> The stack trace looks like the problem is coming from trying to reuse
> a supposedly freed block, so the real bug is probably somewhere else.
> Try setting $MallocScribble and see if it will crash where the real
> bug is.

I ran test-qof under lldb and stopped at malloc_error_break.  Using
this with various malloc-related environment variables gave me a stack
traces for where the offending block was allocated and one for where it
was released.  I've put these in a file in
<https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wghtw6xnqv4ygc5/AACtTnDB1oKgSnFoD_E6zREAa?dl=0>
along with the crash reports.  It looks like it's a character string
allocated by IANAParser, but I haven't looked further yet.  It's quite
possible that this string is only an innocent victim of some code that
thinks it is changing something else.

               Mike