Internal Rate of Return in Advanced Portfolio

Wm... tcnw81 at tarrcity.demon.co.uk
Tue Nov 10 14:37:27 EST 2015

Sun, 1 Nov 2015 17:03:09 <20151102010309.GB19132 at iliad.caltech.edu>
Thomas Anderson <tanderson at exherbo.org> wrote...

>Hello all,
>
>I had a discussion on IRC with John Ralls about this old gnucash-devel@
>list thread:
>    *
>https://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-devel/2011-January/030704.ht
>ml
>
>Unsurprisingly this patch fails to apply anymore, but to me it is a
>worthwhile feature and I want
>to pursue it. I don't speak scheme well, but I can pick it up. John
>suggested I post something to
>the list about this old feature request and try to get some input,
>especially from Mike Alexander,
>on if and how this feature can be worked in.

Looking at a diff between the current

advanced-portfolio.scm
    and
http://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-devel/attachments/20110110/935
f42b3/attachment-0003.bin

the IRR bits seem fairly self contained.

The thing I wonder about is if an IRR wouldn't immediately result in
person A wanting it to be tweaked this way, B arguing it should be done
slightly differently and C wanting something else included or excluded.

Also, does IRR as an into-the-future calculation or tool for deciding
between prospective investments fit in with the rest of gnc's
functionality generally?

In short, isn't this the kind of thing spreadsheets will always do way
better than we could ever do?

--
Wm...