understanding currency exchange...

Mike Alexander mta at umich.edu
Sat Nov 14 14:46:38 EST 2015

> On Nov 14, 2015, at 10:22 AM, John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> wrote:
>

>> On Nov 13, 2015, at 8:49 PM, Mike Alexander <mta at umich.edu> wrote:
>>
>> --On November 11, 2015 at 5:12:38 PM -0800 John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> wrote:
>>
>>> Multi-currency split view can be confusing. In split view in a
>>> currency account, the amounts shown in the register are in the open
>>> account’s currency — in the case of your
>>> Assets:Exchanges:Benjamin Brewer account, USD, so you should enter
>>> 500 in both, then set the rate to 9/10 in the transfer dialog, click
>>> OK, and complete the transaction. Switch to the Euro account and the
>>> transaction will show as being for €450.  Analogous views for a
>>> bogus ATM withdrawal: Checking is USD, Cash—Euro is what it says.
>>
>> This is correct if Trading Accounts are turned off, but not if they are being used.
>
> We need to fix that so that it’s consistent. How?

If trading accounts are on then expanded splits show the amount of the split, not the value.  They also show the currency symbol for all splits not in the transaction's currency (i.e., all splits where it matters which is shown).  It's been this way since trading accounts were first implemented, and was discussed then.  Changing it would be easy, but I think would add confusion.  I could easily argue that changing it to always show the amount, with or without trading accounts, would be better.  It really should show both.

The current situation is not ideal.  When I implemented this, I assumed that the Register2 code would replace the Register code soon and this would all be moot.  That didn't happen and isn't going to happen anytime soon.  Should we add a column to the register to show the amount in expanded splits in non-priced registers?  That might help people understand what's going on.

            Mike