Make fail - No rule to make target COPYING

Matt Graham matt_graham2001 at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 11 01:14:14 EDT 2015

G’day all,

I’m a bit of a noob, so please bear with me. I’m trying to compile gnucash directly from the git sources. Since I work on Gentoo, I’ve been having all sorts of fun with overlays and ebuilds... but that’s another story.

When it begins the compile phase, I get an error:
<code>
make[2]: *** No rule to make target ‘COPYING', needed by ‘all-am’. Stop
</code>

Looking through the make file generated by automake and configure, I’m guessing that this error relates to the following command:
<code>
dist_doc_DATA = \
    AUTHORS \
   COPYING \
   ChangeLog \
</code>

The variable “dist_doc_DATA” has a number of values in it, and as far as i can see “COPYING” is the only one that isn’t a file present. I also can’t find this as a file anywhere within the git sources.

Where should I go from here? Does this sound like a Gnucash bug I should raise, or is it likely I am missing something simple?

Thanks and regards,

Matt Graham /|\

P.s. If it helps, my ebuild is on my public gentoo repository, cloneable from https://github.com/mattig7/MattsPackages.git
I’m using version 2.6.8 – ignore the other ones, haven’t fixed lots of issues with them yet. Just realised that I should have changed to 2.6.9.... that can be next I guess!