Using AsciiDoc for Documentation

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Wed Sep 2 10:24:24 EDT 2015

On Wednesday 02 September 2015 06:45:38 John Ralls wrote:
> > On Sep 2, 2015, at 2:55 AM, Mike Evans <mikee at saxicola.co.uk> wrote:

> >> Hi Mike,
> >>
> >> Thanks for taking a look. I have put the XSL file and a python
> >> script to run the conversion process in a repository at
> >> https://github.com/codesmythe/asciidoc-conversion. See the README
> >> there for details.
> >>
> >> As for editors, I just use a command line converter and then
> >> reload the generated HTML into a browser. I need to try some of the
> >> live preview editors mentioned in the link you sent out yesterday.
> >>
> >> I'll look at the issues you mentioned in the next couple of days.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> Rob
> >
> > Hi Rob
> >
> > Bearing in mind this would only ever need to be run once for each
> > document set and that Asciidoc may not be adopted anyway it's
> > probably not worth spending a lot of effort on those final issues
> > for the moment.  They can likely be easily(ish) fixed manually
> > after conversion.
> Well, let’s poll the person most likely to make use of the switch:
>
> David Carlson, please have a look at
> http://asciidoc.org/userguide.html, starting at section 8, and tell
> us if you’d be able to easily edit documents in that format.

David T. is currently actively working on the English documentation. And I also saw patches
by Chris Good recently. Additionally Mechtilde Stehmann is working on the German
translation as well.

All good candidates to let us know how they perceive asciidoc/markup versus the current
docbook format. I'm not sure they are all subscribed to the devel list so exceptionally I have
addressed them directly in addition to the list.

Regards,

Geert