Rounding in the price db.

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Thu Sep 3 11:06:26 EDT 2015

> On Sep 3, 2015, at 6:25 AM, david.carlson.417 at gmail.com wrote:
>
> I usually reply at the end of a message but this tablet is not set up that way yet.
> Thank you John for that concise description.  This thread
> Is too lengthy to browse and I am still trying to figure out why one Android device puts the last message at the top of the list and another device puts the last message at the bottom or sorts randomly? ?? I am definitely not rrady to give up my tower next to my desk.  Tablets are impossible to edit on, too.
>
> I like the idea of deferring the transfer dialog to the end of the edit session but that would not completely solve the problem of changing a transaction from a sale of ABC stock to FOO stock because it is still necessary t o save before going to the target security account register to adjust the number of shares or something to get whole thing right

You can do that in the transfer dialog: Instead of entering the price in “Exchange Rate” click the “To Amount” radio button (or just arrow down to it) and enter the actual amount you want. The dialog will calculate the corresponding price for you.

> Maybe I could learn to start by adding an empty split line to make the ttarget security account available as a place to do the edit., but there is still either an intermediate save or split lines containing different lots and securities (maybe even different brokerage accounts) to contend with.
> Now that I am thinking about it, maybe I should try doing that in a ledger view.  I have not tried that.  Business transactions probably add more cans of worms to this work flow concept.

If you’re talking about changing your procedure then just make sure you change the counter-account before editing the credit/debit column so that the Transfer Dialog has the right information at the outset.

Do you really have multiple securities in a single transaction that often? I only do that when there’s a merger or a spin-off. That requirement (which is anyway reasonable) means that we’d have to keep a list of the commodities and run the transfer dialog once for each of them. The invoice creation code already does that.

Ledger view might make the operation easier if you’re changing both the cash and security accounts.

> If there was a way to paste an entire transaction into an account, then a different method of editing might work.  I think that would be way beyond the scope of this work.

Ledger view might help with this, too.

Regards,
John Ralls