Managing prices in stock transactions.

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 18:06:23 EDT 2015

On 9/3/2015 3:00 PM, John Ralls wrote:
>> On Sep 3, 2015, at 11:03 AM, David Carlson <david.carlson.417 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I should split this off from the price rounding thread, but I don't know how to do that in GMail when I am replying from inside the thread.
>>
>> Ledger view doesn't show number of shares or prices, so I would still need to go the security account to check on/fix them.
> No, you can check and fix them with “Edit Price” in the split’s context menu.
>
>> I do not see how to fill out the transfer Funds Dialog from a confirmation statement listing number of shares, price, commission and amount.  There are no boxes for number of shares or amount.
> It’s there but perhaps confusingly labelled as “Currency Exchange”. It’s disabled when both accounts are in the same currency/commodity.
>
>> I I am also not sure which split line the dialog is working on after it has popped up.
> The currencies/commodities involved are displayed (or changeable, depending up on how one launched the Transfer Dialog) and the split remains focused in the register.
>
>>  All closing transactions should have a pair of adjustment (Realized Gain/Loss) lines as well as the basic purchase/sale.and currency transfer lines.
> That part you must indeed do from the individual stock account, though it need not be in the same transaction. The Lot Scrubber makes a separate transaction for gains and losses. You also need to go to the individual stock account to see the basis from which to compute the gain.
>> It seems like it is still easiest to let the GnuCash Transfer Funds dialog do whatever it wants then go to the security account where the number of shares is shown and correct it, because it probably is wrong.
> The Transfer Dialog does what you tell it to, but you do have to tell it the correct exchange rate.
>
>> The multiple securities or accounts in the same transaction would usually be transitory during the editing process, but the cases you mention would be permanent.  I can also attest that when I had a 401-K with many securities in 5 different sub-accounts it was very common to have as many as 30 ledger entries in a single bi-weekly transaction and I was too lazy to duplicate each one separately.
> I wouldn’t do it that way, but GnuCash should work when you do. You’d be working in split view and would be editing the amounts on each split and when you exit the credit/debit field the transfer dialog will come up and ask you for the exchange rate or amount. As currently written you should make sure that the counter-account for the split is correct before changing the value, but I’m inclined to think that nothing should be saved anywhere until you complete the whole transaction. It means moving some code and changing API but it’s code that should be separate from the dialog box anyway.
>
> Regards,
> John Ralls

I am getting incredibly frustrated.  It is with several other things
outside of GnuCash, but I feel it spilling over.  Sorry if I seem rude
today.

Thanks for splitting off this thread.

Where is the Edit Price item, in fact where is the context menu in the
ledger view?  I cannot find it in the security register either.  Is that
the pop-up when price, shares and total do not match?  How would I
trigger that in the Ledger view?  Do I actually care about the price
when I am really trying to keep the number of shares and total dollars
matching the brokerage statement?

Also, how would I trigger that Currency Exchange that seems to be
disabled if the security account is priced in the same currency as the
brokerage account?

When you say counter-account, are you referring to the account listed in
whichever split line is currently highlighted, or the account that is
currently displayed in the register view that the transaction was opened in?

David C