Using LibreOffice for Documentation

Mike Evans mikee at saxicola.co.uk
Fri Sep 4 07:01:11 EDT 2015

On Fri, 04 Sep 2015 11:48:16 +0200
Geert Janssens <geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be> wrote:

> I never new something as a master document existed in libreoffice. I'm learning a lot from this
> thread :)
>
> Other than the concerns Tommy Trussell already mentioned I worry about merging.
>
> Can you run this test:
> 1. make two branches
> 2. Make independent changes in both branches
> 3. merge from one branch to the other
>

> Regards,
>
> Geert

This breaks things.

My simple test:
git checkout -b 1
edit
git ci -a
git checkout master
git checkout -b 2
edit
git ci -a

git merge 1

warning: Cannot merge binary files: ch_loans.odt (HEAD vs. 1)
Auto-merging ch_loans.odt
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in ch_loans.odt
Automatic merge failed; fix conflicts and then commit the result.

Note the cannot merge part.

I guess that resolves that then.  No to LibreOffice docs, or I guess any non-plain text file format.

I know we could unzip the odt files to get the plain text content and work with that but I'm it's not really a practical solution is it?

Mike E

--
PGP key:
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x00CDB13500D7AB53