Rounding in the price db.

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sat Sep 19 14:14:30 EDT 2015

> On Sep 19, 2015, at 10:51 AM, David Carlson <david.carlson.417 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 9/19/2015 11:17 AM, John Ralls wrote:
>>> On Sep 19, 2015, at 8:59 AM, David Carlson <david.carlson.417 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I have installed the weekly build dated the 18th and started testing.  I
>>> really like the new appearance of the transfer dialog screen,  I have not
>>> yet switched to a disposable copy of my data file, so I have not tried test
>>> transactions yet.
>> New appearance? There isn’t any change there, all of the changes are to how it calculates and stores prices.
>>
>>> I think that the new help for the transfer dialog, while no doubt accurate,
>>> is very hard to understand.  Perhaps someone can help us make it easier to
>>> read.
>> Could you elaborate on that a bit?
>>
>> Regards,
>> John Ralls
>>

> Perhaps it was a context thing that made the difference with the
> transfer dialog.  Starting from the Transfer button, the box was
> understandable and  happened to have preselected a security account so
> the two ratio boxes were understandable enough that one of them looked
> like a price per share even though the word price was absent.  That
> wasn't the way it looked in the past when I would get slapped by it
> while trying to enter stock transactions and I wasn't even expecting it
> to appear.

Yes, it does look different when you start it with the Transfer button from when it’s brought up to get a price or exchange rate. In the latter case all of the controls above the Exchange Rate panel are disabled. It would be better if they were hidden just like it would be better if the “Exchange Rate” labels changed to “Price” when the “From” commodity is non-currency. I intend to make those changes, just not in the release branch.

> The new help page is hard to read but I want to try the new logic that
> it is describing before I make any suggestions for changes.

There are three changed help pages, 6.2 Transfer Funds Dialog Box, 6.5 Multiple Currency/Commodity Transactions, and 8.6 Price Editor.

“Hard to read” means to me that the sentences are too complex or the words too long. Is that what you mean?

Regards,
John Ralls