Documentation translators: Changed para in ch_oview

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Tue Aug 9 05:19:34 EDT 2016

On Tuesday 09 August 2016 13:37:02 David T. wrote:
> Geert and Frank,
>
> I understand that these aspects of software development are clear and
> easy for you; suffice to say they are not for me. I do not wish to
> start any long discussion about the mechanisms for implementing
> changes to GnuCash’s code and documentation; they have been hashed
> out many times before. My position has been that I am first and
> foremost a skilled editor; my abilities in the use of programming
> tools are epic in their limitations. The use of such tools for the
> documetation has been and continues to be a significant impediment to
> my contributing to the improvement of the docs.
>
> Regardless, I have been under the impression (propagated on the user
> list regularly) that changes should be submitted to BugZilla so that
> they can be tracked and followed through. I was suggesting that
> presenting the bug fix solely through git-whatever represents a
> change in update procedures, and I wanted to know whether *that* is
> going to be the preferred method in the future.

Ok, I had to re-read this a couple of times to get your point.

For some time now we are accepting changes in two ways: either as an attachment in bugzilla
or as a pull request in github. The submitter can choose freely based on his/her preference,
but is not required to submit to both.

So yes, there can be changes that are only proposed via github.

Thanks to your heads up I do realize now this can make it harder for non-developers to give
feedback on those changes. So this can raise the bar for documentation changes review.

On the other hand, I do want to understand in how far github solely as a review board is
crippling you. You didn't answer my direct questions related to Frank's request.

You can submit a patch to bugzilla, so I assume you can more or less interpret such a patch file
as well ? (That may be a false assumption I know hence the question mark). If not the rest
below makes no sense.

So if you are presented with the changes in such a format, would you be able to read it and
understand what's ok and what needs improvement ?

If you find such areas, as far as I'm concerned, you can post your feedback on the mailing list
right here. Or you can click on the blue plus sign on github right in front of the line you want to
leave feedback on and just write it down there in the text box that appears. I'm not sure how
much easier giving feedback can become (all assuming a patch file can be understood of
course).

Regards,

Geert