SourceForge Project of the Month

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Fri Aug 19 13:05:33 EDT 2016

Here we go again. I propose the answers below to the "interview" questions. Any additions or corrections?

Regards,
John Ralls

> On Aug 18, 2016, at 3:58 PM, Joan Uy Ang <joan.nadene at slashdotmedia.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Congratulations! You’ve been voted as the SourceForge Community Choice Project of the Month for September. Normally we do an exclusive interview with the winning project but since you already have one from last year (https://sourceforge.net/blog/march-2015-community-choice-project-of-the-month-gnucash/), we will simply release a feature of GnuCash on our blog which will link to your previous interview.
>
> If however you'd like to give us any updates on the current status of your project, it would be most welcome.
>
> Some questions you could answer:
>
> 	• What significant changes have occurred with your project since you were voted Project of the Month in March last year?

Lots of bug fixes. We're in the middle of our 3-year development cycle.

> 	• Have any of your project goals changed since then?

No.

> 	• What project goals for the year have you achieved so far?

We have a somewhat longer horizon, two development cycles or 8 years from the last release, for our current goals. To recap, those are to rewrite the core library in modern C++, to better enforce the MVC pattern, and to make GnuCash a database application rather than an application that can use a database as an object store. The eventual user benefits will be multi-user operation over the net and the ability to support more platforms--in particular mobile and Chrome.

> 	• What can we look forward to with GnuCash?

We've already got some new features ready for the next stable series expected in December of next year, and we expect that 2.8 will be a substantial stability improvement thanks to the C++ rewrite.

> 	• Is there anything else we should know?

No, I think that's it.