Master - saving to xml broken

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sat Dec 3 11:05:39 EST 2016

> On Dec 3, 2016, at 7:46 AM, Geert Janssens <geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be> wrote:

>>> I can't reproduce it on Fedora-25 either.
>>>
>>> The save problems and crashes on master I *can* reproduce, so I'm working
>>> on that.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> John Ralls
>>
>> John,
>>
>> I  can confirm your commits fix the save problems and crashes. Thanks.
>>
>> As I appear to be the only one experiencing the other part of duplicate
>> objects, I am digging further locally.
>>
>> Using gdb, I found that all non-core objects are registered twice.
>> Once they are registered as part of loading the app-utils module, which in
>> turn loads the engine module which then loads the business modules.
>>
>> The second time they are loaded because the python bindings load the engine
>> module, triggering loading of the business modules again apparently.
>>
>> I have no idea (yet) why this didn't happen before the backend rewrite was
>> merged back in.
>>
>> I suppose none of you have the python bindings enabled, which would explain
>> why only I'm seeing this.
>>
>> Geert
>
> The easy one-line fix would be to test for engine_is_initialized == 1 in
> gnc_engine_init_part2 just like in gnc_engine_init_part1.
>
> I wonder though whether we'd want to move this up to gnc_engine_init in
> general though. Do we want the init hooks to be run each time some code calls
> gnc_engine_init or should they be called only once also ?

IMO we want to get rid of all of the dlopening and just link the convenience libraries like a normal program. That's a lot of work, though, so for now we should be loading only once.

Is the problem really the python bindings (src/optional/python-bindings) or the python console (src/python) that loads the python bindings?

Regards,
John Ralls