[RFC] GTK+ 3 Migration - Alpha-grade Patchset

Tobias Markus tobias at miglix.eu
Mon Feb 22 12:56:24 EST 2016

On So, 2016-02-21 at 13:22 -0800, John Ralls wrote:

> [...]
> > * I added initial configuration files for clang-format and clang-
> > tidy.
> >   The latter could be integrated as a Git commit hook.
> >
> > Bugfixing paths:
> > * I have added basic support for compiling GnuCash with the address
> >   sanitizer (ASan) and the undefined behaviour sanitizer (UBSan),
> >   although in practice, the former only works using LD_PRELOAD at
> >   runtime (which is discouraged) due to a Guile error.
> > * Many of the warnings you see compiling my tree really are valid
> >   errors and should be fixed.
> >
> > UI Design Notes:
> >
> > The current UI has the menubar as the central element. Depending
> > on
> > which "plugin page" you're currently looking at, certain menus are
> > shown or hidden, e.g. the "Transaction" menu is only visible when
> > viewing a register page. In theory, this behaviour is also
> > available in
> > my development tree thanks to the EggMenuManager (taken from Gnome
> > Builder), but I removed the relevant calls for the moment. Please
> > read
> > on for the reasons. (Search for calls to egg_menu_manager_remove)
> >
> > Both the heavy usage of menus and the context-sensitive visibility
> > of
> > menus are discouraged by the Gnome 3 HIG. A more modern UI design
> > would
> > greatly benefit the GnuCash user experience. (Before continuing,
> > please
> > have a quick look at the Gnome 3 HIG right now if you haven't yet.)
> >
> > I haven't spent a great deal of time thinking about a potential new
> > UI
> > design yet, but in general, it boils down to having the page-
> > specific
> > actions as buttons inside a toolbar, and general actions in a
> > header
> > bar (GtkHeaderBar). As an example, let's take the register:
> >  * New Account: A plus button on the toolbar
> >  * Register Style: Clicking on "sandwich"-like button opens a
> > popover
> >    offering the different styles as a slider (as in Nautilus: the
> >    button left of the sandwich button offers the different Nautilus
> >    style options)
> >  * View - Search by: As "search" button in the header bar
> >
> > In general, you can get a lot of design inspiration by looking at
> > Gnome
> > Apps, in particular some of the recently refreshed ones, e.g.
> > Files/Nautilus, Videos/Totem, Maps, Documents or Document
> > Viewer/evince.
> >
> > Asking the Gnome Design Team for suggestions is also a possible
> > avenue.
> >
> > Thanks for your time and attention - let's make GnuCash an even
> > better
> > free software finance manager!
> >
> Dear Tobias,
>
> That's a huge amount of work, but it's a bit too far-reaching to be
> considered a patch set and it doesn't really look like something we

Greetings John,

first of all, thanks for your comments. No Sweat - I'm not asking for a
merge right now, this is really just a fundamental set of patches to
get GnuCash running under GTK+ 3 and obviously needs more work.

> It's also quite possible that we won't ever move GnuCash to Gtk+-3.
> We haven't decided on a future UI toolkit and if you'd looked at
> http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Roadmap you'd realize that we have other
> priorities. Unfortunately it doesn't look like many of your changes
> advance those priorities, and the way you've done your changes would
> make it very difficult indeed to cherry-pick out the parts that might
> be useful.

Please have a look at the roadmap again :D There are only two
paragraphs regarding the UI in the roadmap, and they are "Register
rewrite" - my work is basically building on top of the register rewrite
- and "Eliminate deprecated widgets and libraries" - that's what my
patches are all about - going from GTK+ 2 to GTK+ 3, from webkitgtk to
webkit2gtk, and replacing the deprecated Gnome Canvas based code! :)

Regarding the toolkits, I will respond in detail at the end of this
reply.

About the non-GTK+3-ish changes: I've tried to keep some of the more
general improvements on the next branch, but unfortunately, most of the
changes are complex enough that cherry-picking them from the gtk3
branch is possible, but somewhat complicated. Since the actual coding
work was large enough, I concentrated on getting the initial migration
ready.

> Had you come here before starting work we could have guided you
> towards work that could be merged and coached you about making commit
> messages, style, and the like. Perhaps you'd consider starting over?

If by starting over you mean doing some more rebasing to improve the
commit messages, sure! But as I said, I would rather get my gtk3 branch
feature-ready, i.e. implement the major points I mentioned above.
Please let me know which changes were especially unclear or confusing,
and I will happily improve their commit messages.

About the commit messages: I can do better, I promise :D
As mentioned above, I focused on getting the branch ready.
Most of the "Gnome WIP" commits are pretty similar actually, they all
consist of the core GTK+ 3 migration changes, i.e. replacing deprecated
features by their recommended replacements.

What exactly do you mean with style? I tried to have most of my
additions follow the general style of the relevant file.

> About your recommendations:
> * We probably will drop autotools in favor of cmake for the next
> release.
>
> * Vala is not useful to GnuCash. It is usable only with Gtk+ and we
> need to be able to write GUIs for other platforms. We decided two
> years ago to redo the guts in C++11 and are working on that.

John, I didn't mean to say that the entire GnuCash codebase should be
written in Vala, that certainly wouldn't be the right way. My idea is
to rewrite just the UI (i.e. GTK) code in Vala.

Don't get me wrong, I love C++ and C++11/14 most of all! I just thought
that if the UI code is rewritten, and I think we both agree that the
current UI code consists of a lot of boilerplate code, it should be
rewritten in Vala. (But honestly, that's not a very strong opinion of
mine, as I said, I really like C++ too.)

The reason why I suggested Vala instead of C++/gtkmm is that Vala is a
1:1 match to the GObject system, and while gtkmm code is certainly
easier to write that pure GTK+/C code, they aren't really a perfect
match.

My general point is that the UI code, after migrating it to GTK+ 3, has
some parts that could benefit from some refactoring, e.g. removing
certain now unnecessary functions (especially GtkAction/GAction related
stuff). Whether it is rewritten in Vala or in C++ doesn't really matter
from that perspective.

Thinking about it again, a rewrite in C++ obviously gives the
additional benefit of better integrating with the existing core GnuCash
code.

> * Agreed that rewriting the old register isn't attractive, but a
> developer spent a year trying to get a new GtkTreeView-based register
> to work right and although he got close, it wasn't suitable for
> release. I presume that your Gtk3 port is based on that "Register2"
> code, and since you say that your work isn't releasable either that
> doesn't augur well for that line of development.

Yes, my code is entirely based on Register2. As you said it, it still
has some quirks, but I am sure they can be solved with not too much
further work. While it is possible to rewrite the old register using
GooCanvas/Clutter/the GOffice GocCanvas/whatever, it seems like double
work, since Register2 is quite close.

When I say that my code is not releasable right now, I do not mean that
there are fundamental flaws with it - it just needs some more
polishing. That doesn't mean that my work is fundamentally flawed :D

> * The dynamic module system is indeed a complication of dubious
> utility, but Guile works by dlopening libraries; one doesn't
> dynamically link them. Having GnuCash's executable statically linked
> and Guile using dlopened shared libraries won't work: They pass
> objects back-and-forth between each other so they need to use the
> same binary image. The Gnucash executable might be able to
> dynamically link the shared libraries instead of dlopening them on
> startup. It's worth trying out. We do have a long-term goal of
> getting Guile out of the middle of GnuCash and that would make static
> linking more feasible.

Thanks for the clarification, that's what I expected.

> *We (I) did extensive performance testing with several multi-
> precision libraries including boost.multiprecision and found that
> their dependence on the free store made them unacceptably slow.
> GncInt128 uses the same algorithms (they're in Knuth) but is stack
> based and so substantially faster than boost.multiprecision. The gory
> details can be found by following the long thread beginning at https:
> //lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-devel/2014-May/037723.html.

Again, thank you very much for the clarification. That thread was an
interesting read.

> * We certainly recognize that GnuCash's GUI design is a bit dated,
> but a redesign depends to a large degree on the toolkit one uses.
> Since we're not ready to choose a new toolkit we're also not ready to
> undertake a major redesign. Regardless, the Gnome3 HIG is unlikely to
> factor much in our design decisions.

You mentioned above that GTK+ 3 is not the direction you want to take
the project, and you suggest that the design direction you want to take
is should be based on the "new" toolkit.
To be honest, I don't think GnuCash needs to have one exclusive and
authorative UI, and I don't really see a problem supporting more than
only one toolkit - just like GnuCash has a SQLite, a MySQL and an XML
backend and supports Windows, Mac OS X and Linux. In fact, other
projects like VLC have done that for years.

Now, let's say that some developers would like to include a Qt UI.
CuteCash obviously already succeeded doing that, even if it has not
received significant improvements since 2011 and is based on the
somewhat outdated Qt4 toolkit. Is there any reason not to have both
GnuCash (if GnuCash will be the GTK GnuCash) and CuteCash? I wouldn't
say so.

Since I like GTK+, I would prefer to have GnuCash use, besides any
other toolkits, GTK+ 3, where new development happens - and I see no
reason not to change GnuCash to support GTK+ 3 and to move the UI a bit
close to the Gnome 3 HIG. Please bear in mind that this does not
necessitate a complete and major redesign of the entire UI.

All in all, thanks again for your feedback and I'm looking forward to
your reply!

Kind regards,
Tobias