Authorization for commercial derivative work of GnuCash Tutorial and Concepts Guide

Mike or Penny Novack mpnovack at mtdata.com
Mon Jul 4 08:42:03 EDT 2016

On 7/3/2016 6:05 PM, Chris Lyttle wrote:
> I agree with John, as long as it keeps with the requirements of the GFDL, which means the work is available under the same license, I have no objection.
Uh, I am not one of the developers but am old enough to have been able
to follow the original "free software" discussions. My opinion?

I think an awful lot of people are interpreting "derivative work" in a
sense never intended. If there is some free software X, and somebody
writes a book "How to make good use of X" or "X for Dummies" that is NOT
a "derivative work" << they would have to, of course, not simply
incorporate any documentation/help provided with the software >> Or
suppose the developers had NOT created a "manual" or a "user guide".
Somebody could write either/both of those and would not be a "derivative
work".

Michael D Novack