Guide Investment selling examples

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Fri Jul 29 19:24:52 EDT 2016

> On Jul 28, 2016, at 7:38 PM, Chris Good <chris.good at ozemail.com.au> wrote:
>
> Why do the images in the Guide seem to duplicate the sale transactions. I.e.
> in the attached, there seems to be 2 transactions for 03/21/2006 but the no
> of shares balance indicates there is only 1?
>
> Is this something an old version used to do?  If so, this must be very
> confusing to new users. Should I redo these screen shots?

No, the screen shot is correct. It can indeed be a bit confusing.

There are two transaction entries because the transaction has two splits, one for "Gross Sale" and the other for "Profit" (i.e. capital gain). It's done this way to tie together the two parts of the transaction; it doesn't have to be and if you use the Scrub Lots function it isn't; that makes two transactions and uses the lot slots to tie them together.

Read carefully Chapter 8 a couple of times and it should start to make sense.

Regards,
John Ralls