Help with libdbi code

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Sat May 7 03:32:18 EDT 2016

On 6 May 2016 at 22:38, John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> wrote:

>> On May 6, 2016, at 5:29 PM, Colin Law <clanlaw at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I don't fully follow what you are saying
>> about SUPER privileges, but will go away and think about it some more.
>
> See the bit in http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.7/en/sql-mode.html#sql-mode-setting about GLOBAL vs. SESSION mode.

I don't need to set the global values, just the session, in fact I
must not set the global settings as that would affect other users and
applications.  I mis-spake when I said I needed to adjust the settings
before connecting to the database, that assertion was made on the
assumption that the code connected to the server and then to the
database.  Now that I understand that is not the case I understand why
it connects to the mysql table before creating the gnucash database,
connecting to the mysql table is a means of getting round the problem
that one cannot simply connect to the server and create a db.  In fact
what I need to do is, in the case where the database exists, adjust
the session settings after connecting to the db but before using it,
and in the case where the db does not exist adjust the settings after
connecting to the mysql table but before creating the new database.  I
guess I will then have to do it again when connecting to the new
database as this will be a new session.

Thanks again for the help.

Colin