Business 'fancy date format'

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Thu Nov 10 04:08:52 EST 2016

On Wednesday 09 November 2016 20:57:58 Geert Janssens wrote:
> Bob, John,
>
> I don't know who chose to add a UTC option in the fancy date list or
> what it is supposed to mean. It was there when I took up fixing the
> reports already.
>
> However regarding the failure if no default is set, this is a bug in
> the option definition rather than in the reports.
>
> This option is defined in
> https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/blob/master/src/app-utils/business-> prefs.scm#L122
>
> One can set a default value for an option, which is currently #f for
> the dateformat option. I believe this default should be whatever we
> choose as default in the combobox in the gui instead. And I certainly
> think "Locale" would make more sense as default than "UTC".
>
> Regards,
>
> Geert

I gave this some more thought this morning and would propose yet another possible solution
that I would like even better.

I think the default should be to not use a fancy date at all, but rather use whatever the user
selected in the general preferences.

That would need two changes:
* Add the choice of "No fancy date" in the combo box in the Business preferences GUI and
make that the default choice

* The date format option should query the default for the normal date option if "No fancy date"
is selected or if there is no stored value.

Just the rough idea.

Geert