Are There Plans For A GUI Overhaul?

Christian Stimming christian at cstimming.de
Wed Oct 5 16:45:06 EDT 2016

Dear Dave,

some additional voice on this topic: I'm the author who wrote the alternative
C++/Qt GUI program "cutecash" on top of the internal gnucash "engine" code.
That was in 2010. To my surprise, the code (with some minor fixes that I
committed today) still compiles, links, and runs. Just use cmake, set
WITH_CUTECASH=on (requires libglibmm-dev ), and make. One can open a gnucash
data file, browse through the accounts, edit a transaction and even undo the
edit (heh!). It will crash sooner or later due to various code changes in the
underlying object ownerships, but IMHO it might again be worth a look.

My take on the long term plans is that there are multiple plans around here.
Even a "migration to C++" can be done on various different levels, with
different strategies. For the cutecash experiment, I tested using the glibmm
wrappers, which map the glib stuff to C++ sufficiently well. If asked, I would
suggest to prefer glibmm usage over complete rewriting, and replacing glibmm-
wrapped objects by std c++ as a subsequent step. This would enable a switch to
C++ on the GUI side somewhat earlier than requiring a complete C++ rewrite
first. Then again, I probably won't be doing any of these work as I spend only
very little time on gnucash currently, and those decisions typically are done
by those people who actually invest their time in coding here. So don't take
my advice too seriously :-)

However, a new GUI layer will for sure have to start with a very small subset
of features. It might be a good path into more future-proof coding technology,
but it will for sure have only a small part of the current gnucash's features.
Maybe one can find a set of features with some small new additions that
attracts enough attention... but I don't know how this set of features would
have to look like.

If some people around here are looking into further GUI coding in C++,
preferrably using Qt toolkit, I would be interested to help out every now and
then. Feel free to contact me directly if interested.

Regards,

Christian