ROOT Type accounts

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Sat Oct 29 08:13:27 EDT 2016

On Saturday 29 October 2016 15:14:55 David T. via gnucash-devel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am digging around in the SQL database, and I am noticing that the
> accounts table for my data has 46 ROOT type entries.
>
> Checking in GnuCash, I have 6 top level accounts (Assets, Equity,
> Expenses, Income, Liabilities, and Special Accounts).
>
> Back in the SQL, only one of the 46 has a name entry (“Root account”);
> the remainder have nothing in the name field. Examining the entries a
> little closer, I see that these empty root accounts seem to form a
> single chain whose commodity for each is ‘template’. I am curious
> what these other 45 ROOT accounts might be.
>
> What is this chain, what purpose does it serve, and is it supposed to
> be there?
>
> TIA,
> David

These root accounts shouldn't be there. They are the side effect of a
bug that got fixed some time back. I can't immediately find the details
of this. In principle only one root account should be there and the
others can be removed (provided no other account is referring to these
bogus root accounts). Ideally the check & repair function should handle
this.

Regards,

Geert