New transaction report

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Tue Apr 18 16:27:08 EDT 2017

Doug,

Thanks for offering the report for inclusion in gnucash. I am currently
checking what is needed to get this done.

On woensdag 5 april 2017 03:22:09 CEST Cindy Doughty wrote:
> Afraid I don't know how to push the attached since the
> gnctimeperiod-utilities needs to export several routines.

I'm afraid I don't understand what you are writing here exactly. What needs to
be exported in a way that isn't as is ? Isn't your report working in the state
this is ?

Also what is the preferred end result ? Is your report intended to complement
the existing transaction report or to supersede it ? That is, does your
implementation do everything the original report did and some more, or does it
only do other things from the original report ?

This matters to decide whether the old file should be replaced or not.

I haven't had a chance to try your improved report just yet. I have started
reading the code and have a few remarks on that:

1. It introduces loads of new strings. This is fine in itself, however many of
them are not marked for translation. That should certainly be fixed at some
point.

2. There are lots of small whitespace issues. While this is not really a
problem with your code itself it clutters our version management. I would
really like to see all trailing whitespace removed (unless part of a literal
string that's split over multiple lines). Also empty lines should not have any
other whitespace. And preferably stick to spaces for indentation. I know some
text editors are not really consistent in this and several other scm files in
our repo don't adhere to this. I prefer to keep these inconsistencies to a
minimum and avoiding them upfront is a very effective method :)

> I hereby release the following two reports under the terms of the GNU
> General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either
> version 2 of  the License, or (at your option) any later version.  The
> files are distributed in the hope that they will be useful,  but WITHOUT
> ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of   MERCHANTABILITY or
> FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the GNU General Public License for
> more details.

Great!

>   The transaction.scm file was started from the transaction.scm file
> released with gnucash 2.6.15.  All modifications to the file were done by
> me and are my own work.  The gnctimeperiod-utilities.scm was developed by
> me from scratch.

Thanks again for this work!

Geert