Attachment of links to documents to bills, invoices, credit notes in addition to attachment to transactions

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Fri Apr 28 15:16:40 EDT 2017

Hi David,

I'm very happy you want to work on this! I believe it would make a good
addition to gnucash [1].

Using the kvp mechanism is a good approach. I also think the invoice dialog is
a good place to let the user add/alter the link to the attached document. As
you already suggest, in addition it can be added to the invoice window.

And yes, you can add fields that are editable regardless of the post state of
the invoice. The notes field is an example of such a field. The attachment
link can be treated similarly. It doesn't have to be a text field of course.
I'd have to ponder a bit to come up with the most elegant way to add this
feature. You could compare how similar options are handled in other
applications.

As to the relation between the invoice fields in the invoice dialog/window and
the transaction after posting: they are stored as two completely separate
objects in the data. There are a few kvp values linking them together. But to
create the transaction the relevant values are copied over from the invoice.
So the information you can still alter after the invoice is posted will not
affect the posted transaction.

You can also see this with the example you gave yourself: you can alter the
customer's name and that will reflect on the invoice. However already posted
transactions will not be updated. And payments won't be either.

So - by all means go for it! If you have questions, feel free to ask, either
here or on irc.

Good luck and enjoy!

Geert

[1] It's in the top 5 of most popular new feature requests on uservoice:
https://gnucash.uservoice.com/forums/101223-feature-request