Redundant infrastructure (was:Re: Gnome dropping Bugzilla)

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Mon Aug 7 12:51:45 EDT 2017

On maandag 7 augustus 2017 18:17:38 CEST Bruce-Robert Fenn Pocock wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 7, 2017, 10:23 Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Geert Janssens <geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be> writes:
> >
> > [snip]
> > ….
> >
> > > The drawback is our limited server admin staff and hardware which has
> >
> > come up
> >
> > > a couple of times in different conversations. We have two servers (one
> > > maintained by Linas and one maintained by Derek). Yet each service is
> >
> > hosted
> >
> > > only once and each server has only one admin. So our self-hosting
> >
> > scenario has
> >
> > > a redundancy issue. The more services we decide to host ourselves, the
> >
> > more
> >
> > > critical this becomes IMO.
> >
> > …
> >
> > Of course this doesn't help with the service redundancy.  If there IS a
> > local issue (hardware, power, network) then the service will go offline
> > until it can be repaired.  Granted, I have a large-scale UPS and a
> > natural-gas-powered backup generator so there is no longer a local power
> > outage issue.  However HW and ISP issues are a bit more out of my
> > control.
>
> I could provide a mirror site for redundancy with my shared hosting (at
> Dreamhost), if that would help. Perhaps just a "hot backup" that could be
> enabled if you did lose connectivity or so far a while, rather than working
> up a more complicated High Availability system. I assume a brief outage
> (eg, hour?) of the bug tracker would not be critical to life.

That's very kind. For the record I have two redundant servers myself that can
be configured to run as backups/mirrors/whatever of the gnucash
infrastructure.

This is something I'd like to pick up some time later, when gnucash 2.7/.28
are taking less of my time. Those are top priority now as several distros are
starting to drop gnucash due to the webkit obsolescence.

Geert