gnucash update on debian errors, then stops

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Mon Aug 14 13:26:54 EDT 2017

On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 12:45 AM, John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.fremont.ca.us>
wrote:

> > On Aug 11, 2017, at 5:09 AM, Lincoln A Baxter <lab at lincolnbaxter.com>
> wrote:
> > Can the group make a clear statement on the gnucash user list about the
> plan and time line for getting Gnucash back in Debian? If the wait is long
> for 2.8, should we be thinking about a maintenance release for 2.6, if for
> no other reason than to get it back into Debian?
>
> Lincoln,
>
> Geert's trying to get a 2.7.0 release ready for the end of the month when
> I get back from vacation. It will have WebKit2Gtk4 and if Sébastien wants
> to pick it up for Debian Testing he can. Once we have some users banging on
> 2.7 we can evaluate whether we need the full 6 month cycle to release 2.8
> or can accelerate it. Do you happen to know when Ubuntu makes their
> packaging decisions for their April release?

In the most recent LTS (Long Term Support) releases (which a few other
distros base their repository upon), Ubuntu took the last "snapshot" of
Debian testing in February before the April LTS release. SO it probably
won't be extremely critical until early next year. I haven't seen dates for
18.04 LTS; they don't usually set the LTS dates until around the time of
the fall non-LTS release.

Last year, when I saw that an especially buggy version of GnuCash was going
into the Ubuntu LTS release, I kicked off the process of getting a newer
version into the Ubuntu repository. I detailed the success of the process
in my message to the gnucash-user and gnucash-devel lists dated April 18,
2016 titled "GnuCash 2.6.12 made it to Ubuntu LTS [WAS: Re: Ubuntu LTS
GnuCash "Frozen" at 2.6.9; exception needed]."

Presumably the Debian GnuCash package will be upgraded and reinstated in
Debian before February 2018.

HOWEVER -- The next Non-LTS release (17.10) is scheduled for October 24th.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ArtfulAardvark/ReleaseSchedule

I am sure a few GnuCash users may upgrade Ubuntu with every release every
six months. (I don't, at least not for the systems I use for GnuCash.)

I just looked and GnuCash 2.6.15 is still in the Artful repository.
Assuming we want to make sure GnuCash stays in this next non-LTS release,
the freeze happens August 24th, and someone who is planning to use it will
want to watch its status in case we need to petition to keep the package
included despite its Debian dependency issue.

Any Ubuntu users seeing this who want to keep GnuCash in Artful Aardvark
this October -- you'll need to have a system or a virtual image capable of
running the Ubuntu snapshots for 17.10, and can verify that it continues to
build without errors for the release in October.

I presume one of us might be able to get a sponsor at Ubuntu if necessary.