Moving .gnucash and friends from $HOME to XDG_DATA_HOME (and impact on other applications like KMyMoney)

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Thu Aug 24 04:00:18 EDT 2017

On woensdag 23 augustus 2017 23:30:48 CEST Mike Alexander wrote:
> > On Aug 23, 2017, at 1:09 PM, Geert Janssens <geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be>
> > wrote:
> >
> > Linking has its drawbacks as well though. If I link the directory, the
> > files and subdirectories will be essentially the same. However if the
> > user misinterprets the message and removes file by file from
> > $HOME/.gnucash instead of the directory link, the files are still lost.
>
> Hard linking of directories is not allowed by most systems so if you link
> the directories it would have to be a soft link.  This is good anyway since
> it makes it more obvious that the linking has occured (if the user knows
> how to look).  I’m still not sure it’s a good idea for the reasons you
> mention.

I've had a good night sleep and I today I agree gnucash should not take that
initiative. We can make a copy and inform the user of the new location.
However if the user wants to keep old and new locations in sync it's his/her
responsibility to do so. The user can decide to set up links or to set the
proper environment variables.

Geert