Beyond 2.8 - versioning

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Wed Dec 27 12:19:48 EST 2017

Op dinsdag 26 december 2017 00:36:04 CET schreef Aaron Laws:
> Concerning the versioning scheme: I agree that the leading "2" is rather
> superfluous at this point; if we're not going to use it, get rid of it. I
> *do* appreciate the even/odd versioning scheme. It has a few strong points:
> 1) it's easy at a glance to tell which version is stable and 2) it's easy
> to explain and use.

Thanks for your feedback Aaron.

We are used to the even/odd scheme. There are other projects that have always
used the "unstable=.99" scheme. Once you know it it's equally easy to explain,
no ?
If we would go to a two-number scheme for stable it would feel weird to me if
the first number would distinguish between even and odd, like
3.0 is unstable and 4.0 is stable. For me that doesn't work very well.

Geert