gtk3 + webkit

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Thu Feb 2 10:01:45 EST 2017

Bob,

Thanks for bringing this up.

While I thought of it, I didn't mention this third option as I didn't feel
like maintaining gnome-canvas as part of gnucash.

As you have done a big chunk of the work we may as well evaluate this avenue
anyway, perhaps only as a short term interim solution.

I'll look at it when I'm ready to take on the Gtk3 work. Note that I have my
own local gtk3 branch with several patches to migrate parts over that couldn't
be migrated as long as we also supported gtk2.

I had forgotten to consider our external dependencies. Glad you bring that up.

* LibOFX is not using gtk at all. It's a non-gui library.
* Aqbanking depends on Gtk2 indeed via its own dependency on gwenhywfar. I'd
need to investigate how difficult it would be to port that to Gtk3.
* As you suggested goffice will soon be eliminated from our dependency list
* WebkitGtk2 is Gtk3 only (there's even talk of Gtk4 only soon...). For Win32,
we have been building Webkit ourselves from the beginning. From what I've
heard it's hard, but both Phill Longstaff and John Ralls have managed this in
the past. I assume we will be able to build a newer version ourselves as well.

Note that for the Windows build I have been wanting to evaluate Mingw64 for
some time now, which does come with a prebuilt version of WebkitGtk2 and
several other of our dependencies.The missing ones are isocodes, opensp,
libofx, gwenhywfar, ktoblzcheck, aqbanking and dbi. But that's ok, we have
been building those ourselves for ages. This experiment will have to wait
though until the other priorities have been sorted out.

Regards,

Geert