Document Update Instructions have been revised

Chris Good chris.good at ozemail.com.au
Tue Jan 17 22:06:24 EST 2017

[guide|help]/[language]/gnucash-
> {guide|help}.xml and [guide|help]/[language]/Makefile.am. There is no
> need to update Makefile.in as this is generated by running autogen.sh."
> Perhaps here it's best to more explicitly state autogen.sh and
../configure.sh
> should be re-run.
>
> * There is a section on testing the documentation locally on linux. I have
> slightly modified it, because parts of it were outdated. And I'm
considering
> whether we shouldn't simplify it even more. For now I have stated you can
> run this test with any version of gnucash higher than 2.6.0, with the
> restriction that yelp is installed and working. The text is not too clear
about
> that second part, but that is what the "linux" restriction is actually all
about.
> This does reduce the cases where a full build of a development version of
> gnucash is necessary IMO. It believe this is only necessary when you want
> test context help for features that are only in a more recent version than
you
> currently have. But this begs the question whether we really need gnucash
> at all in the other cases. Only yelp suffices as explained at the end of
step
> 11.3. Perhaps we should make that the preferred testing method and only
> propose linux tests in case new context help should be tested. What do you
> think ?
>
> * Lastly you describe how to format a patch. While this is certainly one
of the
> accepted methods, it may be interesting to document how to make a pull
> request as well.
>
> That's it. Again, thanks for all the effort you spent on this so far!
>
> Regards,
>
> Geert

Hi Geert,

Thanks for reviewing my work and adding extra suggestions. I really enjoy
learning more from your insights. I like to know, at least generally, 'why',
as well as 'how'.
I totally agree your suggestions would be helpful to new documenters. I'm a
little concerned that the bulk of this page could be a little off-putting.
However, I think it is better to have too much info than not enough.
I would like to point out that your suggestions are mostly changes to things
other people wrote. :-)

Originally, I myself started to try to modify the documentation on Windows
but soon thought it was not possible (or at least too difficult), and
changed to Linux.
People who are not familiar with Linux and virtual machines would probably
like more guidance on this.
I have since found that xmllint.exe & xsltproc.exe are in
c:\strawberry\c\bin so that may help. Maybe an msys (or cygwin?) environment
is not needed. I know practically nothing about msys or cygwin. If anyone
else can add anything about updating the documentation on Windows or Mac,
I'd like to hear it.

Re the various translations:
I only speak 1 language, English (Australian) fluently, and some will argue
about that, so it has never really mattered to me, but...
Is it true that the non-English versions of the documentation are
translations of the English documentation?
If so, is this 'policy' or just how it has worked out?
I could imaging that different translations could have totally unique
sections to cater for localisations.

I agree it should be made clearer that it is only necessary to build and
install a development version of GnuCash (programs) if one needs to test
context help for features that are only in a more recent version than
already installed. That section has always been confusing to me.

'Step 2 Git Clone' links to info about using pull requests instead of
patches.
I'll add similar references to the start of ' Step 15 Prepare your Patch'.

Regards, Chris Good