sed error

Stephen Brown StephenBrown165 at outlook.com
Thu Jan 19 15:58:32 EST 2017

Hi All,
From: John Ralls
Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2017 12:44 PM
To: Geert Janssens
Cc: gnucash-devel at gnucash.org ; Stephen Brown
Subject: Re: sed error

> On Jan 18, 2017, at 6:30 AM, Geert Janssens <geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be> wrote:
>
> Op woensdag 18 januari 2017 08:05:10 CET schreef Edward Doolittle:
>> I had a similar problem on my machine (Win 10, Cygwin) a while back when
>> building another program. If I recall correctly, installing GNU sed through
>> the Cygwin package manager solved the problem.
>>
> The gnucash build system on Windows is using msys and won't cope well if
> cygwin is installed as well.
>
> Stephen, can you check the 'sed' command used in the build is the one from
> msys and not from some other installed package (for example Git for Windows
> also installs sed and depending on your choices during installation this may
> be on the default path).
>
> FYI, we have seen this issue on the gnucash build server for Windows as well
> for a while. I *thouht* John managed to fix this, but I'm not 100% sure of
> that.

It usually happens when I screw up and try to run the build from the git shell instead of the msys shell. Git installs its own version of msys which isn't completely compatible with the standard one, and seems to particularly dislike mingw-get.

Regards,
John Ralls

From Stephen Brown
What happened was that I had used the MinGW Installer to install msys (I wanted the whereis command). I then was using the msys shell from that installation. When I found the msys shell from gcdev, used that, it installed into /c/gcdev instead of /c/mingw (or where ever). No more sed issues.

PS How do I get rid of the black line beside my comments? (I am using Windows live mail).

Cheers
Stephen Brown