Document Update Instructions have been revised

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 22 03:36:46 EST 2017

See below…

> On Jan 22, 2017, at 12:28 PM, Chris Good <chris.good at ozemail.com.au> wrote:

As I stated at the beginning of this thread, I am not an expert when it comes to using Git. John, Geert, and others on the list can verify my ability to take even the most basic aspect of Git and screw it up. That is also why I suggest focusing on one GnuCash Preferred Method; I am proof positive that you can’t make it simple enough.

> Yes, the Documentation Update Instructions are aimed at new contributors. For non-technical people, submitting a patch is the easiest way, so that is historically the primary focus of this page. I think this is so as not to confuse them by making them jump to another page.

As the epitome of a non-technical person, I am not sure I agree with your assesment of patches being easier. My experience of the patch process was painful and ugly, and I do not believe I ever got a “patch” submitted without major handholding from others on the list. In contrast, I have been able in recent months to actually edit the documentation (in some substantial ways, on occasion), submit the changes, and get them integrated into the distributed document set numerous times. In my experience, pull requests are easier...

> Maybe others will disagree but I don’t think changing the primary focus of this page from patches to pull requests is really the best use of your time. :-)
>
> It seems people are skipping the reference to http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Git_For_Newbies <http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Git_For_Newbies> from http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Documentation_Update_Instructions#Step_2_Git_Clone <http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Documentation_Update_Instructions#Step_2_Git_Clone>. Do you think it should be made clearer that this discusses Patches and Pull Request procedures as well as basic git commands?

I personally believe that the process of getting set up with Git (whether for documentation or for code) should be handled in a single separate page, so that THIS page can focus on the process of updating documentation. Explaining how to set up git in three different places is the way of madness.

> I did in the past try to improve wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Git <http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Git> but this was deemed to be a backward step for git experts, and thus I put my changes into new page Git_For_Newbies instead.

I will return to the question of who these pages are meant to serve. You and I agree that the focus should be on getting a raw recruit up and contributing to the project in a meaningful way; to that end, the git content here should be directed that way. Git experts will have their own resources for applying their knowledge in the GC realm, ISTM.

> Re: “testing the help on Linux”:
>
> This is only really necessary if testing context sensitive help. (I.e. invoking a particular help section using the F1 key from within GnuCash) where that invocation is only in new code, so cannot be tested from an already existing GnuCash installation. Geert has recently made that clearer. I think this page is an appropriate place for this info.

My point is this: testing whether the context help works in Linux is, technically speaking, not a function of editing the documentation, and doesn’t belong on this page. I don’t have a Linux box, and I don’t plan on getting one or setting one up just so I can test this aspect of the software. I don’t think that disallows me from editing the documentation, and since it is not an actual requirement for updating the documentation, then it should be moved elsewhere.